Thursday, February 28, 2013

Ash Lawn-Highland-Charlottesville, VA

The home of President James Monroe is Ash-Lawn Highland located down the street from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello. This house has a very interesting history from its name to why the house is two different colors. You can take a guided tour of the house for a fee, and once again you're not allowed upstairs (I don't believe there was an option for a special tour, but you can can call and ask).
This photo is from here.

Jefferson urged Monroe to settle near him in Ablemarle County since 1784 and he finally acquired land in 1789. Monroe referred to his home and land as Highland because this was higher then the other property he owned down where the University of Virginia now is (to the best of my knowledge that's what I remember the tour guide saying). The white part of the house is the original part of the house that Monroe lived in. The yellow part of the house is Victorian and was added on by Parson John Massey after a fire destroyed the front part of the house. After Monroe's death the house had many owners, Massey being the last, before it was given to the College of William and Mary. 


 The tour guide we had offered information on Monroe's life and about the design of the house. I wish I could remember some neat little facts he told us, but at this time my mind is drawing a blank. I'll remember eventually....

The tree to the left has been there since Monroe owned Highland. It's a massive tree, I can only imagine how it looks when the it's Spring. 

While Monroe's home isn't as grand as Jefferson's it is still worth a stop. It is a nice modest home with a great view. In the spring and summer from what I've read and saw you can see baby lambs, peacocks, etc. We only saw cows and got pretty close to them. Walking through the garden is nice with tall bushes. 

Also, did you know you could get married here? You can! The history nerd in me loves this, and the views around are beautiful on the mountain. Not sure if it would be my first choice, but definitely a contender if you want an outdoor wedding. 

No comments: